Tuesday, July 19, 2011

TMZ rant lands Marc Tyler on suspension at USC

Marc Tyler finally forced USC's hand.

The senior running back will miss USC's season opener after making inappropriate comments to TMZ about, well, a variety of things and none of them good or flattering toward USC.

When asked why USC has so many running backs, Tyler responded:

"Cause we're RBU, that's how we get down. We all win our Heismans, we all gonna ball, and we all get in Kim Kardashian."

Tyler, who appeared severely intoxicated and whose friends tried to block him from the cameras by telling him he'd get in trouble for talking to TMZ, didn't stop there. He also said USC pays its players.

The TMZ cameraman asked if USC players were getting paid more at USC or if they were in the pros and Tyler responded: "USC. They breaking bread."

Even TMZ considered Tyler's comments to be a joke -- Tyler's dad came out and said his son is not getting paid by USC -- but for a program that's already on probation for giving improper benefits to one of its star players -- a running back, no less -- coach Lane Kiffin didn't see the humor.

"I was very disappointed when I learned of Marc Tyler's inappropriate comments that were captured by the media last week," Kiffin said in a statement. "That is not the way that we expect our players to represent USC and our team.

"Although Marc may find this punishment severe, it is imperative we continue to have a high standard for player behavior. Marc needs to work hard to show us that he can meet the standards of being a USC football player."

Tyler's punishment came after spending the past few months waiting for the school to hand down disciplinary action stemming from two alcohol-related incidents in April.

Because of this latest incident, Tyler's discipline could go from a couple educational classes to something far more serious, including suspension or expulsion. That discipline will come down form USC's Office of Student Judicial Affairs.

But USC athletic director Pat Haden was pretty clear on where he stands in a statement issued by the school.

"We have very high expectations for all of our student-athletes at USC. While the vast majority of our student-athletes act appropriately, Marc did not and stepped way out of line. He did not represent himself, his university or his team the way we expect. Marc has a lot to do to prove he belongs on our team. We hope Marc learns from this and comes back a changed and better person."

Tyler, who has released more statements this summer than any other college football player, once again apologized for his behavior and how it affected the university.

"I want to apologize for embarrassing USC, my teammates and coaches. I am disappointed that I let down all the people who have supported me as I have been working through some personal issues. After meeting today with Mr. Haden and Coach Kiffin, I realize how my behavior and my statements, even though I was joking, can reflect poorly on so many people. As a veteran player, I should know that my job is to be an example for the younger guys. I accept my punishment, and I regret that I will miss the opening game of my senior year. I am committed to doing everything the right way so that I can be reinstated to the team."

This was definitely an ugly incident for a program that needs to distance itself from any type of controversy. Tyler needs to learn how to control his booze or at the very least, keep out of possible compromising situations when drinking.

Shiri Appleby Kelly Hu Michelle Rodriguez Mena Suvari Georgina Grenville

No comments:

Post a Comment