Monday, July 11, 2011

Crowder didn?t sell his jerseys: He was just trying to create buzz for his radio show

Wait, what?

No, of course former Florida linebacker Channing Crowder didn't actually sell his Florida game-worn jerseys. He was just posing a hypothetical situation while talking on his new radio show Sunday.

It was all a publicity stunt. We all should have known that.

"That's what you have to do in media," Crowder said during an interview with ESPN's SportsCenter. "You have to amp yourself up. You have to get a buzz about yourself to get the ratings up."

During the debut of his new radio show on WQAM radio in Miami on Sunday, Crowder, who played for the Gators during the 2003 and 2004 seasons and now plays for the Miami Dolphins, was talking about the merchandise-selling quandary former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor found himself in that ultimately led to him leaving the program.

"I'll say hypothetically I don't have any more of my Florida jerseys," Crowder said Sunday. "There were some Jacksonville businessmen that really hypothetically liked my play."

Crowder thought by excessively using the word "hypothetically" he was making a point that what he was saying wasn't true, when in fact many listening to the show and hearing the accounts of it later thought he was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

Like many who have commented on the Ohio State situation, Crowder backtracked as soon as the attention toward his comments started to get out of control.

"I was playing off the whole Terrelle Pryor thing when businessmen were buying his stuff," Crowder explained. "I was saying that, if somebody wanted to buy my jerseys while I was in school, why can't I sell them because they're my jerseys and have my name on the back? When I was at Florida, I made '55? a relevant jersey number at Florida, so why couldn't I sell my jersey when I was there with my name on the back? That was the point I was making. And then, you know how the media does, they have to build things up because there's no football right now."

Why is it always the media's fault when a player -- former or otherwise -- says something really stupid and then wants to take it back? And, Crowder claimed he was part of the media earlier in the interview, you know, while he was trying to create buzz to get his ratings up.

Crowder's justification about his comments was far more entertaining than his actual admission to selling his jerseys, which he said are both at his and his mother's homes. Even if he had sold his jerseys, the NCAA four-year statute of limitations would likely prohibit any punishment of Florida.

But even with the explanation, Crowder said he still thinks players should be able to sell their merchandise because it belongs to them.

"Anybody who puts their name on the back of their jersey should be able to sell their jersey," Crowder said. "Why not? It's yours. It's your possession. They give it to you at the end of the year because it's yours. So, you should be able to sell it."

Rosario Dawson Tricia Helfer Elena Lyons Brooke Burns Lena Headey

No comments:

Post a Comment